The Global village is facing a terrible situation that has changed the face of the planet forever. All the activities have become ‘contact-less’ to hinder the possible spread of infection. Throughout the world, healthcare trends are changed. It seems that there is only one disease in focus and the rest are being ignored. However, this should not be the case.
What is a chronic disease?
The ailment that lasts for a longer period and requires ongoing medical attention, is called a chronic disease. For example, diabetes, hypertension, cancer, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and cardiac diseases.
Effect of the pandemic on healthcare trends
Health is one of the most affected faculties during the pandemic:
- There is increased pressure on the health system due to COVID patients.
- Online appointments have become increasingly popular worldwide.
- People are afraid to go to the hospitals due to the likely spread of infection.
- A major portion of revenue is utilized on COVID patients.
- Lesser attention is given to the patients with Non-COVID pathologies.
Effect of the pandemic on chronic disease patients’ management
The pandemic has changed the attitude towards chronic diseases:
- The resources are mainly consumed on the prevention and treatment of COVID-19 depriving other diseases off their due share.
- Patients have postponed seeking healthcare for these diseases as they are afraid to go to the hospitals.
- Community-based support is lost.
- Lock-down of certain services has decreased the active management of chronic patients.
- This situation is likely to increase complications of chronic diseases due to poor management.
Role of modern gadgets in managing chronic diseases
Thanks to the technology that we have been blessed with numerous handy gadgets. There are a lot of gadgets used for monitoring the well-being of chronic patients:
- Digital sphygmomanometer
It is used to monitor blood pressure. The benefit of using it is that it can be easily used by the patient himself.
It is used to measure blood sugar levels. Moreover, it can record readings alongwith time and date. This helps in keeping track of blood glucose levels.
- EKG monitor
Certain companies like Wellue have produced portable EKG monitors. These are helpful in recording heart rhythm.
- Pulse-oxygen monitor
It is used to measure heart rate as well as oxygen saturation in the blood. Devices like Oxylink Remote Oxygen Monitor not only monitor pulse and oxygen saturation, but also provide sensor alarms to detect any abnormality in the parameters.
Advantages of using the latest gadgets
- These are portable and light-weight. So it is easy to carry them from place to place.
- These devices have built-in sensors that detect abnormal values. Furthermore, the alarm system activates to warn about the danger.
- The data can be easily shared on more than one device just by linking them through Bluetooth. So, it is possible to take the reading even if you’re some feet away from the patient.
- The parameters’ information can be synchronized with different devices.
- The statistics are recorded automatically and hence it becomes easy to trace the progression or regression.
The final wording
No matter what the situation is, you can easily trace your well-being by using simple gadgets. After all, you owe the responsibility of saving yourself from the complications of long-standing diseases.