As you bid goodbye to 2020 after some rough experiences, 2021 has begun with new hopes for a pleasant year. With many precautions towards health this year, you have to beware of the online threats that may adversely affect your computer’s health, along with several associated dangers.
Luckily, you have the antivirus software solutions to deal with such online vulnerabilities. You may go for professional solutions like ScanGuard for maintaining the security and integrity of your data. Here are the top online threats for your computer in 2021:
Hackers commonly devise phishing scams to scrape your personal or professional data wherein your or your company’s data security is compromised. These can be done by –
- Fake Emails – After a long and tiring day, it is most likely to make mistakes in a work environment. Or even if you are not someone who knows much about the existence of these threats, you might fall victim to these. There can be some fake emails that will just seem to you like a regular email.
The mail subject may be highlighted or appealing that will induce a call to action when you click on it. Like – “Great discounts on your favorite brands,” and you may instantly click on such emails. There will be some links attached inside that will ask for your personal information, and that’s how a hacker can enter into your system. It would help if you restricted yourself from any such emails.
Also, you can have software protection installed that will block such kinds of emails.
- Smishing – Smishing is short for SMS-based phishing. Here, phishing may occur through text messages rather than emails. It is a way where your valuable data might get into the wrong hands.
Malware can happen to your computer through a range of options. Malware through Trojan constitutes the maximum malware online. Cybercriminals use a Trojan virus to enter your computers and mobile and penetrate your system. This can happen through –
- Social Engineering – Social engineering is a way where blackmailers or cybercriminals can trace your information through your social media presence. Everyone today has a prominent social media presence, and that has become a tool for cybercriminals to exploit you.
- System Vulnerability – Malware can happen to your computer if you do not have solid protection software installed. There are Application vulnerabilities like Limda and Aliz mail worms and Operating system vulnerabilities such as CodeRed, Slammer, and Sasser worms that can infect your system.
Any vulnerable system or application is a doorway for cybercrimes. Make sure that your antivirus system does all it requires to prevent any such malware from happening.
PDF scams are also used as a clever tool by hackers to penetrate your system. You are more likely to open a PDF document than an ordinary one because you might think it can contain relevant business information. In such cases, always identify the source of the document. For example, for any bank or credit card statements, look out for the authenticity of the mail of the attached PDF document and then open it.
Cloud storage has replaced the need for physical data storage up to a great extent, but along with the usage and ease, there are some potential risks associated as below:
- Unauthorized Access – Cloud security is compromised when there are unauthorized accesses to the cloud. This problem needs to be resolved with solid credentials and layered security levels.
- Data Breaches – Data breaches are likely to happen with weak cloud security. This can harm your business with unwanted data leaks and subsequent related threats.
- Risks Related to the Vendor – There can be some compromises at the vendor’s end too. The vendor or his employees can access data wherein multiple party access is allowed. This problem needs to be resolved with defined boundaries for vendor access.
Cloud computing has multiple associated risks that might harm your entire business. You must conduct a cloud audit from time to time for thorough inspections and related solutions for the risks.
Login Credentials Being Compromised
Login credentials are the basic thing that we often ignore while operating a computer. It would help if you never share your login credentials with malicious sources or with anyone else. Strong login credentials can protect you and your business from huge losses. The important thing to be remembered here is that a small mistake can impact the entire company.
All the above risks can be taken care of if you have strong antivirus protection like ScanGuard.